B’nai Tzedek Sisterhood is an active, vibrant, group of women of diverse interests, ages, and Jewish backgrounds. We share a desire to make a positive contribution to synagogue life and to be a part of a warm, supportive community.
Our goal is to have 100% of the female members of the congregation join Sisterhood. Our members enjoy meeting new people and connecting with our community. Many of us are working full-time and/or have other responsibilities, but we find our time with Sisterhood gives us renewed energy for all the things we do. Regardless of your involvement with programs or volunteer efforts, we hope you will join to support our various contributions to the synagogue and community.
MEET NEW PEOPLE
Come to a program or event. We offer many social and educational activities to appeal to our broad membership. These include: book discussions, visits to museums, movie nights, holiday events, and educational, social action, cooking and fitness programs. We want to know the interests of the women of our congregation and will try to develop programs based on their interests. If you are interested in a program that is not offered, please let us know so we can try to make it happen. Take a look at our articles in the monthly Tzedek Scroll or notices in the Egeret. You may also contact our Program Vice Presidents, Sheri Farrell or Melissa Polott.
Volunteer. We welcome volunteers, whthout whom we could not offer the variety of prgrams or provide support to the synagogue and community. Volunteer opportunities allow you to make a small commitment of time while you help make a positive contribution to our synagogue community…and get to meet new people. No experience is necessary. We will train you. Some of our major volunteer efforts are through:
Friday Morning Kiddush Preparations
Purim (Mishloat Manot Baskets)
SUPPORT OUR EFFORTS
Here are examples over the past several years of our efforts and contributions that are supported by member dues and fund raising:
- Purchase Chumashim for the bar and bat mitzvah students
- Funded the Cantor’s A Capella Music Program
- Collected Holiday Wish List items for children at Hearts and Homes and toys for Wounded Warrior playroom at Walter Reed Hospital
- Sponsored kiddushim when there are no bar or bat mitzvah
- Prepared the kiddush for Confirmation and the Oneg for Consecration ceremonies
- Perpared and mailed Purim Mishloach Manot Baskets for all synagogue members and staff and Jewish Group Homes
- Donated to Kids Kicking Cancer in the United States and Hadassah Hospital in Israel
- Prepared and donated activity bags for children at Montgomery County's Tree House undergoing therapy for abuse and neglect
- Decorated and donated makeup bags and cosmetic cases for a Women's Shelter
- Donated to Sunflower Bakery in Gaithersburg, Maryland and Beit Issie Shapiro in Ra'anana, Israel, both of which support children and adults with developmental disabilities and special needs
- Reached out to families at times of illness or shiva by providing food or other assistance
- Purchased from Jewish National Fund a tree in the B'nai Tzedek grove in honor of the birth of a new baby or in memory of the death of a synagogue member
- Contributed to the Jewish Theological Seminary through their Torah Fund
- Prepared, delivered and served meals at the NIH Children's Inn for families and patients
- Donated to the Yellow Ribbon Fund for a padded playroom for the Wounded Warrior Program at Walter Reed Hospital
- Provided funding for the Adult Education/Day of Study at B'nai Tzedek
- Funded children's prgram at the CBT Retreat
- Provided food for the Jewish Group Homes' Chanukah Party at CBT
- Sponsored an annual Appreciation Luncheon for the CBT Staff
- Sponsored a Religious School Parents Night Out, Nursery School Back-to-School Tea and a Religious School Open House
- Donated to the CBT drive to support JNF's "Special in Uniform" unit in Israeli army
- Sponsored Rabbi Weinblatt's book "Living in the Shadow of Death" at the 2016 Lessens JCC Book Fair
- Donated to CBT's galas
Annual dues are $36, with new members to the synagogue receiving a complimentary Sisterhood membership for the first year. To join, simply contact our Vice Presidents of Membership: Remy Freeman at [email protected] or Lynn Fanaroff at [email protected].
We would love to welcome you to Sisterhood and can assure you that your involvement will bring friendship and fulfillment in the years ahead.
Hedda Gnaizda and Laura Rosenberg